Job Location: Oceanside, CA
Architect: Kenneth D. Smith Architects
Lighting Designer: Ron Lancial & George C. Bosson
Photographer: Mark Dell'Aquila
Awards / Certifications:
AmerillumBrands 54,000sqft manufacturing and design facility houses its two brands, a·light and alumen8E, within this showcase of a·light products. T5 linear fluorescent units were the vast majority used inside while most exterior lighting is LED.
- The exterior features X1 | aire1 2ft bollards lining the sidewalk as well as a 10ft tall X3 | aire3 at the walkway inception. Attached to the exterior mullion under our entrance canopy is the D4 | accolade4 in a pattern with 2-45degree corners that follows the building lines and illuminates the canopy.
- Inside the lobby, D3 | accolade3 surface mount and D5 | accolade5 recessed are combined to create a pseudo U-shaped pattern upon entry. A D3 | accolade3 suspended and D5 | accolade5 wall wash illuminate the reception desk area.
- The main hallway is accentuated by a 144-ft.-long row of B1 | arris1, following the corridor with two custom 47.5° bends, and painted a·light signature red.
- Executive offices contain distinctive span-mount luminaires: a D3 | accolade3 indirect 14-ft. full span is supported simply by attaching ends to each wall without the need for any additional center suspension. Partial span mounted D3's with a·parabola™ louver over the desk are aircraft cable suspended at one end with a wall-mount connection opposite.
- Office cubicles use a single 4-ft. T5 linear fluorescent D6 | accolade6 slot recessed above each desk, anticipating that large window banks provide indirect daily illumination.
- Accounting department offices employ a·light's A1 | arcature1 suspended luminaire with a·parabola™ louvers, while other offices use a single 8ft A4 | arcature4 wall mount with 30degree cut-off blade baffle.
- A recessed D5 | accolade5 "L" pattern is applied in an ancillary corridor visually splitting the gyp wall while transitioning seamlessly into a t-bar ceiling. The engineering office holds yet another integrations pattern, this time a large U-shaped D4 | accolade4 suspended structure.
- The second-floor Equinox Lounge, a comfortable meeting/gathering space with a view, at 520-sq.-ft., has only one 24-ft.-long wall-mounted run of T5 indirect D4 | accolade4. Windows provide most of the daytime light, and the single fixture provides a perfect amount of illumination in the evenings, for agent or client social functions.
- The manufacturing/warehouse space has 62 skylights, alongside 105 motion-sensored and ambient-light-gauging high-bay luminaires supplied by sister company Alumen8E, employing four T5HO-lamps each, consuming only 196 watts per fixture. Most of these fixtures are not even on during daylight hours, as skylights become “workhorses” for the plant. An employee breakroom uses only 8 ultra-shallow recessed luminaires in a 680 sq.-ft. space, using a sensational 0.35 watts per sq.-ft.
Using all its own products, AmerillumBrands achieved for its new building, including all outdoor area, parking and landscape lighting, an almost unbelievable total of 0.63 watts per sq. ft.